The South Hero Library Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The mission of the Foundation is to provide financial support for the Worthen Library.
The purpose of the Foundation is to receive, hold, invest, administer funding, and to make expenditures to or for the exclusive benefit of the Worthen Library and its operating, programming, and capital needs not normally met by public funding. The Worthen Library is the municipal library for the town of South Hero.
The Foundation is organized exclusively for charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Notwithstanding any other provision of these bylaws, the Foundation shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on by an organization exempt from Federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
South Hero Library Foundation Board
- Ken Kowalewitz – Chair
- Marty Kiser – Treasurer
- Sandy Gregg – Secretary
- Peter Zamore – Member
- Kathleen Swanson – Member
If you have interest in volunteering please contact any member of the Board. In addition to the Board, the Foundation has an active Development and Communications Team that meets regularly to promote programming and raise funds to support the Library. In addition to Board members, the following people are active with this group:
- Marcy Zweerlink
- Jim Brightwell
- Keagan Calkins, Library Director
- Mary Senior Harwood
Ways You Can Help
- Support your new Library.
- Make an unrestricted gift to enhance our library and support operations.
- Donate an item from the Wish List.
- Buy a brick and leave a legacy in honor or memory of someone – even your pet!
- Take advantage of one-time tax advantages for your gift made by December 31, 2020. Click here to learn more.
- Remember the Worthen Library in your estate plans. Learn more here.
- Make a donation from your Required Minimum Distribution. Learn more here.
- Direct a donation from your Donor Advised Fund.
- All donors become members of the Worthen Society and are invited to special recognition events and are acknowledged on the poster in the Library. Learn more about the Worthen Society here.
- Take part in fundraising and communications activities to further the Library’s outreach. Learn more here.
- Donate to the Sustainability Fund for the Worthen Library.
Each year, South Hero voters support the Library with their tax money. We are deeply grateful to the community for this continued support of day to day operations, staffing, collection development and programming. Your gift as a donor to the library helps cover the added operating costs of our new Library and provides funding for expanding our programs and resources to meet changing needs of our community.Seed funding from Ed Worthen’s estate has established a Sustainability Fund. Our goal is to grow this Fund into an endowment that will provide steady, ongoing support for our Library to supplement the funding raised from taxes. Gifts to this fund will provide a buffer to minimize the Library’s increased budgetary needs on the taxpayer. Learn more here.
We welcome your questions as well as your donations! Please feel free to contact us if you’d like to learn more about the South Hero Library Foundation. If you’d like to make a financial donation through our secure online form, please click the button below.