Weekly Preschool Programs
Storytime – Tuesdays at 10am: We’ll be reading books, signing songs, and making crafts!
Playgroup – Thursdays at 10am: Join other preschoolers and their parents for some laid back library play.
Worthen Passion Project
What is the Worthen Passion Project Challenge?
The Passion Project Challenge strives to celebrate and showcase the diverse interests of the young adults in our Island community. Participants will select a topic of interest and create a project to share with their fellow Islanders at the Library Exhibition in May. The Passion Project will award three winners each $500, with at least one of the prizes going to a 7th or 8th grader.
What are some examples of projects?
We are hoping to be surprised by what our young Islanders can create. What are you excited about? What are you good at? What do you love? Your entry can be anything suitable to present to the community. Some ideas:
- A LEGO Creation
- A graphic Novel
- An Essay
- A plan to take carbon out of the air
- A choreographed dance
- A piece of art
- A Computer game
- Rebuilding an engine
- Volunteer work
- A recipes
- A plan for getting more E-bikes in South Hero
- A lesson plan for teaching computers to seniors
- A poetry recitation
If you are unsure, feel free to run your ideas by Keagan Calkins the Worthen Library Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
What does it cost?
There is no cost to be a part of this challenge.
Who can enter?
Grand Isle County residents currently in 7th to 12th grade.
How do I participate?
- Email the Worthen Library email@example.com to let us know that you are participating
- Submit your project no later than 6pm Friday, May 12th, 2023, to the Worthen Library at 28 Community Lane, South Hero
- Projects must be submitted with a minimum two paragraph description of your project as well as a paragraph about how you will spend the prize money.
- Attend the Passion Project Exhibition on Friday, May 19th, 2023, from 5pm to 7pm, where you will showcase your project to the review panel and the public.
This should be a new project, created especially for this challenge. This should be done as independently as possible, although it is understandable that parents or mentors may be needed for guidance, transportation, supplies,etc. Make this a reflection of you!
– The Worthen Passion Project is funded by the South Hero Library Foundation
Weekly Events at the Worthen Library
Weekly Events at the Library
- Crafternoon 1pm: Heidi’s weekly craft is now live and in person at the library! Each week Heidi will have a new craft and in person instruction.
- Chess Club 3:30pm to 5pm – All levels and all ages welcome to play chess.
- Gentle Stretch Yoga 4pm to 5pm: Join Tree from Tree House Yoga & Wellness. Please bring a yoga mat or beach towel, water, props if desired and a smile. (Masks are optional) Classes are $12. All are welcome!
- Storytime 10am: We’ll be reading books, signing songs, and making crafts!
- Mah Jongg 12pm to 3pm – Whether you’re an experienced player or a novice this is the perfect place to play.
- Fiber Arts Group 11am – Bring in your knitting, crochet, rug hooking, sewing, or craft project and create with a community.
- Movie Matinee 12pm – We’re watching the AFI top 100 of all time.
- Rosen Method Movement 3:30pm -Relaxing movement to music to help with breath and posture. The class includes a full range of motion for all joints. Floor mat is recommended.
- **Pokemon Club** 3:30pm – Bring your cards and prepare for battle!
- Pre-School Play Group 10am – Join other preschoolers and their parents for some laid back library play.
- Mah Jongg 1pm to 3pm – Whether you’re an experienced player or a novice this is the perfect place to play.