Pre-registration for all events is encouraged.
Pre-registration for the Let’s Go Fishing Event is required.
What is the Worthen Passion Project Challenge?
The Passion Project Challenge strives to celebrate and showcase the diverse interests of the young adults in our Island community. Participants will select a topic of interest and create a project to share with their fellow Islanders at the Library Exhibition in May. The Passion Project will award three winners each $500, with at least one of the prizes going to a 7th or 8th grader.
What are some examples of projects?
We are hoping to be surprised by what our young Islanders can create. What are you excited about? What are you good at? What do you love? Your entry can be anything suitable to present to the community. Some ideas:
- A LEGO Creation
- A graphic Novel
- An Essay
- A plan to take carbon out of the air
- A choreographed dance
- A piece of art
- A Computer game
- Rebuilding an engine
- Volunteer work
- A recipes
- A plan for getting more E-bikes in South Hero
- A lesson plan for teaching computers to seniors
- A poetry recitation
If you are unsure, feel free to run your ideas by Keagan Calkins the Worthen Library Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
What does it cost?
There is no cost to be a part of this challenge.
Who can enter?
Grand Isle County residents currently in 7th to 12th grade.
How do I participate?
- Email the Worthen Library email@example.com to let us know that you are participating
- Submit your project no later than 6pm Friday, May 13th, 2022, to the Worthen Library at 28 Community Lane, South Hero
- Projects must be submitted with a minimum two paragraph description of your project as well as a paragraph about how you will spend the prize money.
- Attend the Passion Project Exhibition on Friday, May 20th, 2022, from 5pm to 8pm, where you will showcase your project to the review panel and the public.
This should be a new project, created especially for this challenge. This should be done as independently as possible, although it is understandable that parents or mentors may be needed for guidance, transportation, supplies,etc. Make this a reflection of you!
Who decides the Winners?
The review committee includes:
Keagan Calkins, Ann Laughlin, Elle Reid and El Towle
– The Worthen Passion Project is funded by the South Hero Library Foundation
Join us for chess club every Monday 3:30 to 5pm. All ages and abilities welcome.
Tuesday at 10am – Outdoor Storytime!
Wednesday at 3:30pm – Move & Stretch
Thursday at 1pm – Mah Jongg